Thursday, April 10, 2008

Welcome!

I am motivated by two things: Curiosity and Drink.

Actually, there are many more things, among them reading. I dig reading, and don't do nearly enough of it. And much of what I do is comic books, gun articles and other ephemera.

But then there's Joyce's Ulysses. I know very little about it, to be honest, except that it's experimental, it's daunting, it's one of the most important works of 20th century literature, and there's a yearly party around the world that aficionados throw pretty much everywhere. It's the Kilmanjaro of literature -- one of the highest peaks in the world, and unlike Everest, it stands alone.

And we're going to climb it, you and I.

In the next few weeks, I'd like to organize an intrepid group of explorers to work together and climb this mountain. It doesn't matter if you've never read it before -- or anything else by Joyce, for that matter. It doesn't matter if you have read it before. An experienced climber or two on this journey would be nothing bet an asset. All that matters is a willingness to read the book, and a willingness to write about it.

You don't have to be smart, and you don't have to be prepared. (I haven't even bought my copy yet.) You certainly don't have to be smarter than the book. I hear this thing is a whopper, and sooner or later, it'll try to clobber all of us. But working together, we can reach the summit. Sure, some of us will freeze to death. Someone always does. (We'll call him "Icy Joe.") But most of us will get there, and we'll be richer for the experience.

I don't have a complicated plan for this. I just want to read the thing, and talk about it with people who are also reading it. It's a book club. And since scheduling is the downfall of any vast get-together of adults (well, scheduling and heroin), I think it's best to do this online. So:

  • Anyone who wants to participate should let me know. I'll set it up so that they can post on Ulysses the Blog. (I'll need your email address... you can send it to grimmbeau at optonline dot net, and I'll send you an invitation to post.)
  • We'll start reading in a couple of weeks. I'm in the middle of a book, and chances are, you are too.
  • Participants should post on the blog whenever they want. Got something to say? Say it. It doesn't matter if it's a big thought or a small one. Trivial can be lively. And comment on each other's posts. Comments will be open to blog members and guests.
  • Read at your own rate. I'd like every post tagged with both the poster's name and the chapter (Wikipedia says they're called episodes) of the book the post concerns. That way, people might be able to avoid spoilers.


Hopefully, some of us will be able to get together and celebrate Bloomsday (the anniversary of the day the action of Ulysses takes place on). It's June 16th, a Monday this year, so it's not ideal, drinking-wise. But with enough advance notice, we might be able to hoist a few. Or whatever it is people do on Bloomsday -- but I'm planning on doing it at least partially in the bag.

Like I said, Curiosity and Drink. And reading, good company, and climbing mountains.

Who's with me?

Rob

16 comments:

Alexandra Kitty said...

Sign me up, good man!

Jeff said...

Oh yeah, count me in.

Rob S. said...

Oop. I've learned I need your email addresses to invite you to post. So send 'em to me at grimmbeau at optonline dot net. Or in your cases, just send me a personal message through the Captain Comics boards.

InGenius Festival - Voices from the Writers' Forum said...

I'm in. As a recovering English major it really has always been sitting out there as this big giant gap in my personal canon. That said, I read Dubliners a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it, so I'm not altogether optimistic...

BTW, I LOVE that you started this before you even bought I copy of the book. When I first read the post I was thinking, "oh crap, I don't even have a copy of the book!" But, thankfully, neither do you. Yet.

And you have my e-mail address, no?

Rob S. said...

I can't seem to find it at work, Jaya, but I'm sure I have it at home.

Greg! said...

I'd love to do this.
Wonder if I can find my heavily-marginaliaed copy from college? Or any of the accompanying helper texts?



n.b. To my knowledge there have been at least two very distinct editions in print in the last fifteen or twenty years, with totally differing pagination. (At one point Viking had both the "corrected text" and its previous edition in print at the same time, owing to intense scholarly conflict over just how correct the "corrected text" really was. I wish they'd opted to do the same with all their Faulkner titles, but that's a different henhouse.) From a quick click over to Amazon, it looks like there are no fewer than six at the moment (one annotated...).
Anyway, it occurs to me that, more than most books, Ulysses is likely to generate page-referencing on a regular basis, so it might be worth trying to keep everyone on the same page, as it were.

Greg! said...

Whoops!

Have you... er... bought your copies yet?

Rob S. said...

I haven't. I was planning to walk over to the Borders by MSG and pick up whichever edition they had there, but if there's a particularly good one (or particularly widespread one), I'll pick that one up.

Greg! said...

And so far as mountains are concerned, I was going to say that the Everest is actually Finnegans Wake, which I've never even attempted. But I've decided that's not the case. The Wake is K2, the less-attempted and certainly less inspiring, neighbor.

Greg! said...

Hmmm... I was wondering about the annotated edition, but that might be wimping out.

I'm around the house at the moment. Once I actually get lunch, I'll do a little online checking to see where the Joycean community stands on the current editions.


p.s. You might want to reset the time zone clock for this blog. It thinks it's three hours earilier.

Rob S. said...

Dude, I'm in the middle of the Atlantic.

Rob S. said...

Oops. Wrong direction. I guess I'm in Seattle. It's wet, anyway...

Rob S. said...

Oh, and personally speaking, I'd rather keep the annotations off of the page I'm reading -- I think I'd like to experience it as written, rather than as decoded. But I'm sure I'll be peeking at other resources now and then.

Travis said...

Hey, folks, I am in as well. Last in first out? I will have to fight my inherent laziness, but I definitely want to give it a go.

Brian R Tarnoff said...

Greg just alerted me to this project, and I'd like to put my oar in the water as well. I'm ashamed, as a lopsided Joyce fan, to admit that I've not actually ever finished Ulysses (but I have read Finnegan's Wake, albeit in a one semester course whose sole work was FW).

Also, I've just finished the gargantuan, but very pleasureable Neil Stephenson baroque cycle, so I'm up for a new challenge.

Rob S. said...

Fantastic, Brian -- it's good to hear from you. Email me at grimmbeau at optonline dot net -- or just have greg forward your email address -- and I'll put you on the blog authors list.